Date of birth: 24-10-1986
Place of birth: Maastricht, The Netherlands
2016 – present
Lecturer in Research and Communication, The Hague University of Applied Sciences
2011 – 2016
Ph.D., UiL OTS, Utrecht University
Advisors: prof. dr. Yoad Winter, prof. dr. Martin Everaert
Title: Concepts and Plural Predication
Visiting Scholar, New York University
Advisor: dr. Liina Pylkkänen
2009 – 2011
MPhil Linguistics (cum laude), Utrecht University
Committee: dr. Yoad Winter, dr. Marijn Struiksma, dr. Joost Zwarts
Thesis: Reciprocals and Geometry-sensitivity: An experimental study
2006 – 2009
BA Communication and Information Sciences (cum laude), Utrecht University
- Poortman, E.B. (2017). Concepts and Plural Predication: The effects of conceptual knowledge on the interpretation of reciprocal and conjunctive plural constructions. Doctoral dissertation, Utrecht University. LOT, Utrecht.
Papers (to appear)
- Kruitwagen, I., Poortman, E.B. & Winter, Y. (2017). Reciprocal verbs as collective predicate concepts. To appear in Proceedings of NELS 47.
- Poortman, E.B., Struiksma, M.E., Kerem, N., Friedmann, N. & Winter, Y. (2017). Reciprocal expressions and the Maximal Typicality Hypothesis. To appear in Glossa.
Papers and book chapters (published)
- Poortman, E.B. (2017). Concept Typicality and the Interpretation of Plural Predicate Conjunction. In J. Hampton and Y. Winter (Eds.), Compositionality and Concepts in Linguistics and Psychology, pp. 139-162. In the series Language, Cognition and Mind, Springer.
- Tieu, L., Romoli, J., Poortman, E.B., Winter, Y., & S. Crain. (2017). Children’s comprehension of plural predicate conjunction. Journal of Child Language.
- Poortman, E.B. & Pylkkänen, L. (2016). Adjective conjunction as a window into the LATL’s contribution to conceptual combination. Brain & Language 160, pp. 50-60.
- Grimm, R., Lee, C., Poortman, E.B. & Winter, Y. (2014). Evidence for non-existential readings of locative indefinites. Proceedings of SALT 24, New York.
- Poortman, E.B. (2014). Between Intersective and ‘Split’ Interpretations of Predicate Conjunction: The Role of Typicality. In J. Degen, M. Franke, and N. Goodman (Eds.), Proceedings of the Formal & Experimental Pragmatics Workshop, pp. 36-42, Tübingen.
- Poortman, E.B. (2011). Reciprocals and Geometry-sensitivity: An experimental study. MPhil thesis, Utrecht University.
- (with Imke Kruitwagen & Yoad Winter). Reciprocal verbs as collective predicate concepts. The 47th Annual Meeting of North East Linguistic Society (NELS 47), October 14-16, 2016.
- (with Yoad Winter, Imke Kruitwagen, Carien Westenbroek, Robyn Berghoff & Luca Bischetti) Lexical reciprocity and non-symmetric collectivity: a typicality-theoretic account. Cognitive Structures: Linguistic, Philosophical and Psychological Perspectives, Dusseldorf, Germany, September 15-17, 2016.
- (with Liina Pylkkänen) Adjective conjunction as a window into the LATL’s contribution to conceptual combination. Society for the Neurobiology of Language, Chicago IL, US, October 15-17, 2015.
- (with Lyn Tieu, Jacopo Romoli, Yoad Winter & Stephen Crain) Boolean and Non-Boolean Conjunction in Acquisition. Rencontres d’Automne de Linguistique formelle: Langage, Langues et Cognition (RALFe), Université Paris VIII (Vincennes—St-Denis), October 9-10, 2014.
- Between intersective and ‘split’ interpretations of predicate conjunction: The role of typicality. Workshop “Formal and Experimental Pragmatics” at ESSLLI, Tubingen, Germany, August 12, 2014.
- Typicality effects and plural predication. NYU Semantics group, New York NY, US, May 9, 2014.
- Boolean and and non-boolean and: Resolving vagueness of plural predication. Semantics and Philosophy in Europe (SPE) 7, ZAS Berlin, Germany, June 27, 2014.
- (with Robert Grimm, Choonkyu Lee & Yoad Winter) Evidence for non-existential readings of locative indefinites. Semantics and Linguistic Theory (SALT) 24, New York NY, US, May 31, 2014.
- The effect of lexical information on logical interpretation of sentences: Evidence from adjective conjunction. Cognitive Neuroscience Society 21st annual meeting, Boston MA, US, April 7, 2014.
- The animals are big and small: Making sense of plural predicate conjunction. Uiltjesdagen, UiL OTS, November 2013.
- Lexical meaning and the interpretation of reciprocity & conjunction. Workshop “Concept Composition & Experimental Semantics/Pragmatics”, Utrecht, September 2013.
- Reciprocal quantification & lexical meaning. European Summer School in Logic, Language and Information (ESSLLI), Dusseldorf, Germany, August 2013.
- Exploring the effects of typicality on logical interpretation: experiments on reciprocity and conjunction. Semantics & Pragmatics colloquium, Radboud University Nijmegen, February 2013.
- Experimental Pragmatics. Guest lecture for “Foundations of Semantics and Pragmatics” (RMA level), Utrecht, January 2013.
- Typicality matters: Experimental work on the effects of typicality on interpretation. Uiltjesdagen, UiL OTS, Utrecht, November 2012.
- The effect of typicality on the interpretation of sentences. Linguistischer Arbeitskreis (LAK), University of Cologne, October 2012.
- How typicality can affect interpretation: Experimental work on reciprocity and conjunction. Experimental Linguistics Talks Utrecht (ELiTU), Utrecht, October 2012.
- (with Marijn Struiksma) Typicality effects on the logical interpretation of reciprocal sentences: A new experimental paradigm (poster). Psycholinguistics in Flanders 2012, Berg en Dal, June 2012.
- The role of content words in formal accounts of meaning: Experimental work on reciprocals. Uiltjesdagen, UiL OTS, Utrecht, November 2011.
- De semantiek van “elkaar”: Een experimenteel onderzoek, Guest lecture for “Introduction to Linguistic Research” (BA level), Utrecht, November 2011.
- A Geometry-Sensitive Hypothesis for Reciprocals, Workshop “On Logic and Common Sense”, UiL-OTS, Utrecht, June 2011.
- Empirical Methods in Formal Semantics, MA Linguistics, 2013/2014, Lecturer & supervisor of individual research projects
- Formal Semantics of Natural Language, ESSLLI 2013, Dusseldorf Germany, Guest Lecturer
- Empirical Methods in Formal Semantics, MA Linguistics, 2013/2014, Lecturer
- Communication in Drum Languages, BA Linguistics, 2013/2014, Lecturer
- Introduction to Linguistics, Bsc Artificial Intelligence, 2012/2013, Lecturer
- Foundations of Semantics & Pragmatics, MA Linguistics, 2012/2013, Guest lecturer
- Communication in Drum Languages, BA Linguistics, 2012/2013, Lecturer
- Linguistic Research, BA Language and Culture Studies, 2011/2012, Guest lecturer
- Co-organiser workshop Concept Composition & Experimental Semantics/Pragmatics, 2-3 September, 2013.
- Program committee member & organizing committee member for X-PRAG conference 2013, 4-6 September, 2013.
- Coordinator Leiden Utrecht Semantics Happenings (LUSH), 2012 – 2014
- Co-organiser UiL OTS Uiltjesdagen, 2012.